- Departs from:
11/120 Goondoon Street Gladstone 4680 QLD
ph:+617 4972 4969
- Departure time:
Protecting our Dunes – A Pandanus Recovery project will connect, inform and provide practical on ground opportunities of involvement to the greater Gladstone community to address the current threat of Pandanus DieBack.
Delivered through a combination of information sessions, on ground activities, larger community action group events, citizen science monitoring and surveying activities and awareness campaigns, the project would be easily replicated along the NSW and QLD coastline and islands where Pandanus and DieBack is found.
Volunteers and CVA staff will be engaged in conservation activities with consultation and guidance from GRC and Pandanus DieBack expert Joel Fostin. These activities will include:
- Creating a baseline of current Pandanus communities via surveys and mapping of along the coastline of the Gladstone Regional Council Local Government Area, providing GPS information to both GRC and the Atlas of Living Australia data base
- Key sites include Deep Water NP (Agnes Water/1770, 1.5hrs from office), Lillies Beach, Facing Island, Canoe Point, The Narrows, Wild Cattle Creek, Inner Gladstone City and Curtis Island
- Photo monitoring of affected Pandanus outbreaks
- Direct seeding and propagation of Pandanus seeds in both healthy and affected communities
- Leaf stripping of affecting Pandanus to assist with Pandanus recovery, which involves the removal of the old deceased leaves from the trees to remove the insect and decaying material from the Pandanus tree to allow a recovery of the tree.
Join this project
Conservation Volunteers Australia is Australasia's leading conservation volunteer organisation, founded in 1982. We offer conservation programs across Australia which enable volunteers to protect, preserve and restore the Australian environment. Projects take place in urban, regional and remote areas, and include tree planting, seed collection, weed control, flora and fauna surveys, building tracks and trails, fencing, and heritage restoration. See below for details of one of our conservation projects, or search for projects near you.
For more information, or for help with your booking, please contact the Gladstone office on +617 4972 4969 or email firstname.lastname@example.org